Lawmakers have a big job during the 2021 Montana legislative session. They will vote on laws and policies ranging from our state budget to access to health care.
Important decisions like how we balance our state budget and how we protect health care for 100,000 Montanans shouldn’t happen in a vacuum. High-stakes decisions like how we advance equity for LGBTQ2S Montanans and Indigenous communities require the input of those most impacted by those decisions. To learn how to get involved, reply to this email or contact Ella@MontanaWomenVote.org.
Stay tuned for weekly Legislative Updates from Montana Women Vote! We will help you keep track of what is happening, share information about how to get involved, and help you share your story for policy change. Click here to sign up for Legislative Bulletins and Action Alerts!
2021 Legislative Updates
- Take Montana Women Vote’s 2021 Post-MT Leg Survey!
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 17: Sine Die?
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 16: Abortion Court?!
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 14: VETO Requests
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 13: Healthcare attacks, tax cuts for the wealthy, discrimination by design, COVID relief funds, and the budget
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 12: Budget Week
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 11: LGBTQ2S Rights, Economic Justice, MMIW/P, Voting Rights, and Reproductive Rights
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 10: LGBTQ2S Rights and how to get involved
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 9: Transmittal
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 8: Economic Justice; Attacks on LGBTQ2S Rights, Reproductive Rights, and Voting Rights
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 7: Attacks on LGBTQ2S Rights, Reproductive Rights, Safety Net Programs, Tribal Sovereignty, and Voting Rights
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 6: Indigenous Justice, Paid Leave, Tax Fairness, and Tribal Sovereignty
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 5: Economic Justice, Missing & Murdered Indigenous People, Reproductive Rights & Health, and Transgender Rights
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 4: Economic Justice, Attacks on Immigrant & Refugee Rights, Indigenous Justice, and Voting Rights
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 3: Abortion Rights, Transgender Rights, Missing & Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW), Voting Rights, and Attacks on Low-Income Montanans
- 2021 Legislative Update Week 2: Transgender Rights, Missing & Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW), Tax Fairness, and the Legislative COVID-19 Response Panel
Our Legislative Priorities:
Montana Women Vote, along with partner organizations and individuals across the state, worked tirelessly to expand Montana’s Medicaid program in 2015. Since then, nearly 100,000 Montanans have gained access to quality affordable health coverage.
However, as you may know, Medicaid expansion will be up for debate again this year. In the coming months, we will be calling on our legislators to protect the healthcare coverage of almost 100,000 of our friends and neighbors.
Are you interested in sharing your story about Medicaid expansion with decision-makers? Contact Ella at Ella@MontanaWomenVote.org.
Funding our Social Safety Net
Because our state revenue does not keep pace with state needs, Montana has been forced to make cuts to crucial programs that serve seniors, individuals with disabilities, and struggling families and children.
We will continue to oppose harmful budget cuts and advocate for a variety of revenue-raising measures that will provide funding for the government programs, services, and infrastructure essential to maintaining healthy communities and families.
We will follow the lead of Indigenous activists and leaders in advocating for sovereignty, justice, and solutions to the crisis of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women (MMIW).
As in previous legislative sessions, we will continue our work to expand the rights of LGBTQ and Two Spirit Montanans and to defend them from harmful rhetorical and policy attacks.
We will, once again, advocate for adding sexual orientation, gender identity, and gender expression as protected classes under the MT Human Rights Act (MHRA). Adding these protections to the MHRA will ensure that everyone will have the same access to legal protections in their workplace, housing, and public accommodations.
Montana Women Vote will continue our work to protect and advance access to comprehensive reproductive healthcare.
We will work closely with partner organizations to vigorously defend against the usual attempts to outlaw abortion and restrict access to reproductive healthcare.
There are lots of ways to participate in the legislative process. Join our phone tree, come to a phone bank, or attend a lobby day! For more information, click here to email Ella Smith.
Past 2019 Legislative Bulletins
- Past 2019: Healthcare Access, Tax Fairness, and Voting Rights
- Past 2019: Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women, Healthcare Access, and Tax Fairness
- Past 2019: Healthcare, LGBTQ, Econ. Justice, and Tax Fairness
- Past 2019 Healthcare, LGBTQ, and Indigenous Justice
- Past 2019: Healthcare, LGBTQ, and Reproductive Rights
- Past 2019: Healthcare, Reproductive Rights, and Indigenous Justice
- Past 2019 Medicaid Expansion Update
- Past 2019: Final Legislative Bulletin of 2019