We are part of a broad and diverse coalition of organizations supporting I-185, the Healthy Montana Initiative.
Healthy Montana is a statewide initiative to raise state fees on all tobacco products including currently untaxed e-cigarettes and other electronic smoking devices. This effort will save both lives and money by preventing kids from smoking and reducing the toll of cancer and heart disease on our health and our economy.
This initiative will prevent nearly 100,000 Montanans from losing their health coverage. It also provides needed funds for veterans suicide prevention programs, health services to help seniors and people with disabilities stay in their homes, and programs to prevent kids from smoking and help smokers quit.
Montana has not increased the tobacco tax in thirteen years. This initiative will help ensure a healthy and productive workforce, create thousands of jobs for nurses and other medical staff, and help our rural hospitals stay open to provide people across the state with the care they need.
Passing this initiative will improve the health of Montanans across the state by:
- Help 9,300 adults quit smoking;
- Preventing nearly 100,000 of our friends and neighbors from losing their existing health care coverage through Medicaid;
- Funding veterans nursing homes and suicide prevention;
- Supporting rural hospitals and clinics to ensure that they remain open for all Montanans;
- Providing health services to help seniors and people with disabilities stay in their homes; and
- Keeping kids from smoking and helping smokers quit.
Everyone should be able to see a doctor when they’re sick, and no one should be forced to choose between medical treatment and food for their family.
You can help 100,000 Montanans keep their health care coverage by sharing your health story.
Have you received coverage through Montana’s Medicaid program? Have you or someone you love suffered from the harmful effects of tobacco or nicotine products? Have you experienced difficulty accessing healthcare in Montana? Click here to share your story.
Paid for by Montana Women Vote. Sarah Howell, Treasurer.